The Estate

Sitting on 57,000 acres of conserved wilderness, Corrour provides an unparalleled opportunity to experience the Highlands in extremely comfortable accommodation. Our self-catered cottages, located along a private road, provide relaxation and modern amenities. Corrour is just an hour's drive, or forty minute train ride, from Fort William.

In 1942 Corrour Lodge burned down; only its chapel, game larder and school house remained. In 1959 a temporary wooden bungalow house was built and in 1999, construction of the new Corrour Lodge commenced.

Designed by acclaimed Boston-based architect, Moshe Safdie, the new Corrour Lodge was completed in 2003. While the crisp geometric lines evoke a modern feel, the lodge is reminiscent of a traditional grand Scottish estate. To connect with the heritage of Corrour, Safdie constructed the Lodge on the grounds of the original Victorian estate.

Find out more on Corrour Lodge at www.corrourlodge.co.uk »

A wild garden surrounds the Lodge and nearby cottages. These gardens were originally established by Sir John Maxwell who built and developed the estate in the late 19th century. Today, the gardens reflect the design inspirations of Jinny Blom, our garden design consultant.

At Corrour, you can enjoy:

  • Extremely well appointed and comfortable accommodation
  • 3 star equivalent grading
  • Remote, beautiful and peaceful scenery
  • Train access to Fort William, one of the Highland's busiest towns
  • Delicious food at the nearby Station House Restaurant. The restaurant has recently reopened under new management, and is receiving rave reviews for its delicious cuisine and cosy, warm welome.
  • Private lochs suitable for boating and canoeing
  • Pike and trout fishing on lochs and rivers
  • Mountain bikes for hire (Fort William or Laggan)
  • Pony trekking (by prior arrangement)
  • Clay pigeon shooting and rifle range instruction
  • Numerous nearby 'Munros' (mountains over 3,000 feet) for hill walkers

The Station House & The Loch Ossian Hostel

Two other properties are nearby: the Loch Ossian Hostel and the Station House. In 1931, the hostel opened for hill walkers. This hostel, located a few miles from the cottages, is one of the most remote - and eco-friendly - in Britain.

It operates with wind and solar power, gray water and dry toilet systems, recycled glass windows, and bat-friendly paint. More information on the hostel »

The Corrour Station opened in 1894 and was originally built to serve the sporting estate. Visitors were taken from here to Loch Ossian by horse drawn carriage, and then transported by steamer to the lodge on the other side.

The Station House opened in 2000 and operates as a Restaurant providing wholesome ahrty Scottish fare. Plans are afoot for spring 2013 for the Station House to offer overnight accomodation, in fully refurbished, en-suite facilities. The Station House' FaceBook page is a great place to keep up-to-date with what is going on - www.facebook.com/CorrourStationHouseRestaurant »

Brief History

Corrour is located on one of the highest altitude lochs in Scotland, at some 1,300 feet above sea level. In earlier days, Corrour was not easy to reach. The original lodge, which was completed in the early 19th century, could only have been reached by pony. It is reputed to have been the highest inhabited house in Britain.

After the West Highland Railway Line opened in 1894, Corrour began to change. Sir John Stirling Maxwell bought Corrour in 1891 and started to create a 'gentleman's paradise' - a new Lodge was completed in 1899.

Until 1910, guests arriving at Corrour Station were taken first by pony trap to Loch Ossian and then by steam yacht 'Cailleach' to the Lodge. The road along the south shore of Loch Ossian was built around that time. The building of the estate road, which gives access to Corrour by car, was begun by the Forestry Commission in the late 1960's and completed in 1972. Previously, the only way in and out was the train.

Sir John's interest in trees and plants were the start of environmental stewardship at the estate. He was actively involved in establishing the Forestry Commission in 1919, and he planted the rhododendron gardens that remain on Corrour today.

Tragedy struck in 1942 when Corrour Lodge caught fire. Only its chapel, game larder and schoolhouse remained. The building of the new Corrour Lodge began in 1999 and finished in 2003.

From 1995 the estate is under a new ownership and now run by The Corrour Trust. The estate is moving towards a new balance between sporting estate and natural wilderness.

We are adopting a holistic approach to protecting the land and are addressing the social and environmental impacts of all our activities.

We are working towards promoting the bio diversity and beauty, using resources responsibly and enhancing the experience of all who live and visit Corrour.

Facebook Icon Twitter Icon